Monday, June 23, 2008

Sleepless in Canton...

It has been a hectic week of work work work and sick sick sick.
*sigh* *grin*

Well, it is official - I have not really slept for the past 48 hours - except 3 hours of cough wrecked sleep on Saturday night and a turbulence filled 2.5 hours on the cramped seat of an airplane.

So right now I find myself unable to go to sleep - even in a quiet hotel room in off Guangzhou. My mind is just racing around, from matters at work, matters with colleagues, leftover matters from that especially time consuming last minute causing me not to be able to sleep project, matters of what the hell I am supposed to do for the next four days as I proceed to Shanghai for meetings and more meetings.

Traveling used to be fun - and it still is. The 1st look of an approaching city from the air, the tarmac of an airport I have never before ventured, the lines at immigration and customs silently praying I have not done or brought anything wrong. I love it all... However, I am starting to develop some disenchantment with traveling so much - especially for work.

I sometimes wish just to lie on my bed, book in hand with my mind in some faraway place - be it Midkemia, Arrakis, Middle Earth or Treasure Island. But I digress - probably due to my sleep deprived state.

For those who want to be in the know on my going-ons in life, I just have lunch and is currently waiting for a talk in the evening. Tonight we will be staying at the airport hotel ready to be whisked away to Shanghai 1st thing in the morning...

Oh Canton, Canton...
I hardly know you...
But for the whispers of your character...
from the elevated highway

Oh Canton, oh Canton
People now call you...
Guangzhou, jewel of the Pearl River...
as I depart from you by the jetway

On tomorrow's morn

No comments: