Monday, March 17, 2008

History...

"Those who cannot learn from history are doomed to repeat it." -George Santayana

These are heady times - with new governments in many states and a new sense of unity amongst the people. As usual, the government-owned media has not managed to get this sense of unity on the ground - citing that Malaysians are divided as never before. I really do hope they are wrong, and some of my recent experiences the hope seems to be right.

I was talking to my aunt just today, about politics no less - a topic that is unusual simply that she is probably the most politically challenged person in this nation. In all honesty, this aunt of mine is rather narrow in her interpretation of race relatios - i.e. stay away from non-chinese people. Full Stop. But what was amazing is the words that was coming out of her mouth.

"Waah, this new president (it is actually MB but she ended up saying president) for Perak is good hor. Seem to be nice," she said.

"But Ah Eee, he is PAS wor. Isn't that not a good thing?" I quipped - knowing full well that like all Penangites (or rather Chinese Penangite) she has expressed her horror and disdain for the Islamist party many times.

"Aiyoh. Beh yau kin eh lar. E PAS mar PAS lor. Ha mi ma shi siang eh. Eh hiau ka wa lang teng lang ho lai ho kee mar eh sai lor." (Hokkien: Aiyou. Nevermind one - let it be PAS - so what, it is all the same. As long as he is able to work with us Chinese - that is enough)

I was flabbergasted. This was probably one of the only conversations that I have with this aunt in which she actually approved of a PAS supporter - much less a PAS MB! She went on to say that her friends back in Penang as well as some in Taiping and Pak Hai (or Seberang Prai) and our cousin in Sia Tan Ni (Sungai Petani) also have similar views (SP is in the now PAS dominated state of Kedah). I guess the people are indeed sick of race politics and are looking for an alternative - contrary to what is being presented by the press.

Now, talking about race relations - this is the reason why I titled this post of history. During election night, I was kinda forced back home around 1am because my mum was rather paranoid about potential riots. I was rather chuffed about it (I actually intended to go back to my election monitoring) and brought it up yesterday at dinner. It was then I heard a first hand account of a young girl (my mum was her teens) during the May incident.

"It was scary. At night we all switched off all the lights and crowded into one room. It is almost like a curfew. In the middle of our room we put a lot of big pots, pans and a big tangki - and we have our sticks. Someone will be awake to keep watch"

"The boys took their bamboo sticks and some of them took old hunting rifles (one of my grand-uncles was apparently a ranger) and hid in the rambutan orchard just across the road."

"The reason why the pans and pots was that if we see any lights coming - if there was a lot of lights like torches we would beat the pots and drums and the boys and men will form a barricade/blockade."

This was all new to me. And the vividness of it shows that this time must have impacted her a lot. I cannot vouch for the accuracy of the details she said (it was a long time ago) but my mum gave me a sense that this must NOT be forgotten - so that IT CAN NEVER HAPPEN AGAIN.

I am so glad that this was a peaceful transition at this critical time. I applaud PM Pak Lah for allowing this climate of change to happen - that he respected the people's wishes. Not all of our ex-prime ministers may have chosen the fair honourable way our Pak Lah has carried himself. I am aslo glad that the opposition did not goad and held their victories with grace and decorum.

In 39 years from now, our children will ask us about this election - this election that showed that this nation can move forward with peaceful change. And I will be able to tell my son or daugther that he or she has nothing to fear to party with the victors of the Malaysian General Elections 2047 (if I am alive then :P). I will tell them the day that a fair and honourable PM - who may not be the strongest or sharpest leader - who allowed this change. That Abdullah Badawi may be one of the most important leaders in the history of this nation - by simply allowing the people to be heard...

No comments: