Sunday, July 20, 2008

The comfort of the company of old friends...

“It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them.”
Ralph Waldo Emerson, American Essayist

It has indeed been a fast paced and hectic weekend - one of my old old friends is getting hitched and there are many old old friends from way back in town to celebrate this joyous occasion. Many of us apart for many years, dwelling in various cities on different continents and timezones. So for two days, we relived old times.

It was amazing how we fell back onto the old camaderie - old jokes, dirty jokes, insults, gossip & texas hold'em poker. It is also amazing to see the changes we have since days past - weddings, engagements... new babies. And most of all - the sweet sound of laughter that continue to echo in my ears.

“The most beautiful discovery true friends make is that they can grow separately without growing apart.”
Elisabeth Foley

One other thing is the amount of comfort we get from one another as we share confidences in our current lives. I just feel grateful that after all these years, the bonds of our friendships has developed into one that we can speak freely to one another of the current issues in our lives, seek opinions from one another, sharing our worries, troubles and hopes of the future. It may be because we see each other so rarely, that we are so far removed from each other's life, that allow us to share our lives without consequence... without fear... in other words...

In total freedom.

And God, for that I am grateful... truly grateful.

“Don't walk behind me, I may not lead. Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow. Just walk beside me and be my friend.”
Albert Camus, French Author

No comments: